The Alarmingly High Price of Raising Kids With Autism! Are you surprised?
When families make a decision to have children or not, finances often weigh heavy in their decision. They consider things like if one parent can afford to stay home or not, how many years of daycare they may need, and plenty of other financial factors. What many fail to add into the equation, however, is what if that child has autism.
According to recent study, families of children with autism are hit not only emotionally when their child is diagnosed, but they take significant financial blows as well. A new report says families with autistic children earn $18,000 less than those whose children don't. That's a lot of money, and it's primarily due to the mother not being able to work as much or at all.
The study showed those with autistic children were 6 percent less likely to be employed, worked seven hours less per week, and they had less than half the annual income than those whose children had no disability. David Mandell, associate director of the Center for Autism Research at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told Reuters Health, "Mothers are leaving the workforce to cobble this care together for their kids."
It's such a sad statement about the care options available to families facing autism, and it's frightening because the cost of raising a child with autism can be so high. While most of us look forward to the day we pay for what we can of our kids' college, then let them fend for themselves, many parents of children with autism are faced with supporting their children for life. Some estimates say their extra care may cost $3.2 million over a lifetime. I'm sure parents of children with many disabilities face similar challenges.
a clear sign that something more has to be done to help families who
are sacrificing so much to do what's best for the children they love. We
have to find ways to help them and let them help themselves by working,
if that's what they choose.
It's not that surprising I guess given the struggles I've heard from friends and others who are trying to navigate services for their autistic children, it's just jolting to see how large the impact of autism is financially ... in addition to the many other ways their lives are forever changed by it.
Are you surprised that families raising children with autism are financially impacted this significantly? If you have a child with autism, how has your work situation been affected?
- Pitt Public Health study finds childhood autism associated with increased ... - Timesonline.com
- Epidemiologists Link Air Pollution To Autism - Science 2.0
- What you should know about autism from the point of a view of a Boca Raton ... - WPTV
- When This Mom Couldn't Find What She Needed To Help Her Autistic Daughter, She Created A Site That Could
- Kenny Brown: "My Brother Is Not Less Than" Just Because He's Autistic
- Harry Specters crowdfunding to create hundreds of jobs for people with autism - Autism Daily Newscast
- Raising Healthy Kids: Autism Roadmap - 6abc.com
- More Evidence Links Autism to Air Pollution - Medscape
- Horses, scientists and the search for an effective autism treatment - ABC Online
- Can Video Games Diagnose Cognitive Deficits?
- Dachel Media Update: Lawrence Solomon A Voice of Ebola Reason
- University of Pittsburgh study finds link between air toxics and childhood autism - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Other Autism Discussions on the Web
When a Child With Autism Goes Missing- A Mother's Story provided by Nancy O'Brien and the Autism Speaks - Chicagoland Chapter
Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising. Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you?
Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising. Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you? - CafeMom
My daughter is being diagnosed for autism and I need help dealing with this. - autism daughter diagnosis
- You can't bleach the autism out of your child
- How long should I try biomedical treatment for autism?
- Extra DPT Vaccine, Autism and Strange Rash
- What if my 3 y/o has Autism how to deal and what to do..
- Bleach Enemas As a Treatment For Autism
- What kind of school is your child in and what level autism
- Autism/ADHD diet
- The Autism Book by Dr. Robert Sears
- Is PDD-NOS considered Autism?
- Any advice/ tips on sleep issues with autism??