The Alarmingly High Price of Raising Kids With Autism! Are you surprised?
When families make a decision to have children or not, finances often weigh heavy in their decision. They consider things like if one parent can afford to stay home or not, how many years of daycare they may need, and plenty of other financial factors. What many fail to add into the equation, however, is what if that child has autism.
According to recent study, families of children with autism are hit not only emotionally when their child is diagnosed, but they take significant financial blows as well. A new report says families with autistic children earn $18,000 less than those whose children don't. That's a lot of money, and it's primarily due to the mother not being able to work as much or at all.
The study showed those with autistic children were 6 percent less likely to be employed, worked seven hours less per week, and they had less than half the annual income than those whose children had no disability. David Mandell, associate director of the Center for Autism Research at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told Reuters Health, "Mothers are leaving the workforce to cobble this care together for their kids."
It's such a sad statement about the care options available to families facing autism, and it's frightening because the cost of raising a child with autism can be so high. While most of us look forward to the day we pay for what we can of our kids' college, then let them fend for themselves, many parents of children with autism are faced with supporting their children for life. Some estimates say their extra care may cost $3.2 million over a lifetime. I'm sure parents of children with many disabilities face similar challenges.
a clear sign that something more has to be done to help families who
are sacrificing so much to do what's best for the children they love. We
have to find ways to help them and let them help themselves by working,
if that's what they choose.
It's not that surprising I guess given the struggles I've heard from friends and others who are trying to navigate services for their autistic children, it's just jolting to see how large the impact of autism is financially ... in addition to the many other ways their lives are forever changed by it.
Are you surprised that families raising children with autism are financially impacted this significantly? If you have a child with autism, how has your work situation been affected?
- CDC Whistleblower Calls on Congress to Intervene in Autism-Vaccine Research
- West Sacramento autism center adds medical treatment - Sacramento Business Journal
- Brain networks to handle internal & external tasks mature more slowly in ADHD
- Kelli Stapleton to Dr. Phil: Not worthy to beg autistic daughter's forgiveness ... - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com
- Cause Of Autism Could Be Found In Digestive System, Researchers Say - CBS Local
- Walk-A-Thon supports Richland Co. children with autism - Mansfield News Journal
- Age of Autism Welcomes Jim Thompson as Contributing Editor
- Life With Autism in Pictures Tells Story Media Ignores
- New clues connect altered patterns of DNA tags to autism - SFARI News (blog)
- Kelli Stapleton to Dr. Phil: Not worthy to beg autistic daughter's forgiveness ... - Mlive Kalamazoo
- Imprinted brain theory links autism and schizophrenia - ABC Online
- New research examines link between cerebellum and autism - The Daily Princetonian
Other Autism Discussions on the Web
When a Child With Autism Goes Missing- A Mother's Story provided by Nancy O'Brien and the Autism Speaks - Chicagoland Chapter
Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising. Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you?
Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising. Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you? - CafeMom
My daughter is being diagnosed for autism and I need help dealing with this. - autism daughter diagnosis
- You can't bleach the autism out of your child
- How long should I try biomedical treatment for autism?
- Extra DPT Vaccine, Autism and Strange Rash
- What if my 3 y/o has Autism how to deal and what to do..
- Bleach Enemas As a Treatment For Autism
- What kind of school is your child in and what level autism
- Autism/ADHD diet
- The Autism Book by Dr. Robert Sears
- Is PDD-NOS considered Autism?
- Any advice/ tips on sleep issues with autism??