April Is World Autism Awareness Month.:
Contact the incoming Minister and share your concerns?
12 is better than none....and the State schools get lots of funding as opposed to Private.......so. choices.... choices......
IMO - 12 sessions spread over 3 years is a waste of money - and time - and gives caregivers a false sense of security - as "hey - we're doing what the experts say - so I must be doing the best possible for the child". The efforts would be better directed elsewhere - or as Buzz suggests, to those with the most severe needs.
I don't need to contact the minister, this will affect me in no way - maybe the Public System has changed, but from my experiences, what they provide and what their experts recommend, falls far short of what is really needed to make a difference.
As for the Private/public debate - what you ay is true, but doesn't change the fact that the situation and allocation of funds is unjust - private school peeps still pay for a spot in the publkic system, they just choose to go somewhere else when the public system can't/won't provide the level of care/service that is really required.
IMO - of course.
But for a child such as Buzz describes - even one session a week would do little - and what? after 3 years they're magically "cured"? reached their full potential? developed their skills as much as possible?
pfft - The Experts at the DAT team discharged a child at 6 years of age saying he was within normal parameters, when he couldn't hold a pencil, farless draw or write - couldn't sit in a desk, etc etc etc and a whole range of other age appropriate "norms" deemed necessary for a child of that age.
- EMU starts live stream video counseling to help autistic children in rural areas - AnnArbor.com
- Pat Levitt, International Autism Expert, To Head CHLA Program - The Beverly Hills Courier
- Children's Theatre and Redmoon present first autism-friendly show - Chicago Tribune
- Autism training preparing first responders - WLBZ-TV
- Kids With Autism Quick To Detect Motion - NPR (blog)
- Roy Dittmann: If I Could Turn Back Time: The Top Regrets of Parents With Children Who Have Autism
- Scheme will cover cost of autism treatment - Sydney Morning Herald
- Adapted shared reading at school for minimally verbal students with autism
- A play and joint attention intervention for teachers of young children with autism: A randomized controlled pilot study
- Increasing social engagement in children with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder using collaborative technologies in the school environment
- The role of treatment fidelity on outcomes during a randomized field trial of an autism intervention
- 'Sometimes I want to play by myself': Understanding what friendship means to children with autism in mainstream primary schools
Other Autism Discussions on the Web
When a Child With Autism Goes Missing- A Mother's Story provided by Nancy O'Brien and the Autism Speaks - Chicagoland Chapter
Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising. Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you?
Link Between Junk Food & Autism Is Sad But Not Surprising. Does the link between processed food and autism surprise you? - CafeMom
My daughter is being diagnosed for autism and I need help dealing with this. - autism daughter diagnosis
- You can't bleach the autism out of your child
- How long should I try biomedical treatment for autism?
- Extra DPT Vaccine, Autism and Strange Rash
- What if my 3 y/o has Autism how to deal and what to do..
- Bleach Enemas As a Treatment For Autism
- What kind of school is your child in and what level autism
- Autism/ADHD diet
- The Autism Book by Dr. Robert Sears
- Is PDD-NOS considered Autism?
- Any advice/ tips on sleep issues with autism??