Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Mass. needs to rise to challenge of housing adults with autism - Boston Globe
- Applications open again for Utah's autism waiver program - Salt Lake Tribune
- Pope Francis tackles autism as families seek hope and support - Deseret News
- Disney Hit With New Lawsuits By Kids With Autism; Many More Expected - Deadline.com
- New insights link Fragile X Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Autism care coverage improves for military families, but costs are still a concern - TheNewsTribune.com
- Pope Francis tackles autism as families seek hope, support - Religion News Service
- Military improves autistic child care coverage - Montgomery Advertiser
- Introducing The Psychology Podcast with Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman
- How Doctors Determine the Moment of Death [Excerpt]
- Jerry Seinfeld: 'I don't have autism' - USA TODAY
- Aces for Autism raises $40000 for Autism center in Eastern Carolina - WITN