Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Genetic Risk for Autism May be Hiked By Air Pollution - PsychCentral.com
- Weekly Wrap: Attack of the Mutant Utilitarian Troll! Hopkins Decides To Solve Autism Epidemic!
- Identification of gene crucial for formation of certain brain circuitry
- Study: Certain Kids' Autism Risk Increases in High Pollution Areas - California Healthline
- DeBary says family can't keep chickens that autistic boy has bonded with - Orlando Sentinel
- Jan Pilarski: Food As a Bridge to Jobs and Hope: Green Bridge Growers
- Autism may be linked to gastrointestinal issues, Caltech study says - Pasadena Star-News
- Dachel Media Review: Autism GI, Couric
- 'Quiet' Santas welcome kids with autism across the country - San Francisco Chronicle (blog)
- Research points to link between autism, intestinal bacteria - al.com (blog)
- Bacterium Reverses Autismlike Behavior in Mice
- Will to Persevere Can Be Triggered by Electric Stimulation