Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Etobicoke mom takes long walk for autism awareness - Toronto Sun
- Hosemann leads push for autism insurance coverage - Jackson Clarion Ledger
- Team Autism 24/7 announces grants - Bonner County Daily Bee
- Museum Opens Doors, Turns Down Lights For Autistic Kids - NPR
- Rosenblum: Autism cards help, but we should, too - Minneapolis Star Tribune (blog)
- New Gene Studies Uncover Why Autism Symptoms Vary Widely - DOGOnews
- Nevada governor seeks to expand autism care program - Washington Times
- Finding shared pathways for psychiatric disorders
- Study sheds light on genetic mutations in autism disorders
- Video-based therapy might benefit babies at risk of autism
- Nevada governor seeks to expand autism care program - Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
- 6 best bets for Staten Island Saturday: From 'Brew for Autism' to People's ... - SILive.com