Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Mapping Autism in the Developing Brain - MIT Technology Review
- Autism Genome Project Delivers Genetic Discovery
- Passage of expanded insurance coverage bill gives added meaning to ... - Wichita Business Journal (blog)
- Classmates mentor students with autism - Sacramento Bee
- Our Public Schools Must Be More Autism-Friendly—Here's Where to Start - Pacific Standard
- Boulder teen raises autism awareness by telling own story - The Denver Post
- Motor skill deficiencies linked to autism severity, reseearch says
- Going Non-Toxic on a Budget
- Mira Costa grad with autism pens raw memoir to challenge blanket stereotypes - Easy Reader
- Autism risk increases in children born to older women, Drexel study finds - Newsworks.org
- Autism walk, expo set for Sunday - Poughkeepsie Journal
- Early intervention key for children with autism - KSDK