Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Autism diagnosis, treatment, challenges: Join the live chat at 3 pm Thursday - The Oregonian
- The Emotional Blindness of Alexithymia
- True Life's Brothers with Autism: 'We Have the Same Problems As Other People' - People Magazine
- How To Build An Autism&Friendly Workplace - Fast Company
- Dog watch - How attention changes in the course of a dog's life
- Healthy Kids: Experts keep learning more about autism - STLtoday.com
- The world's third-largest software firm says people with autism will comprise ... - Al Jazeera America
- Employing people with autism - Washington Post
- 10 facts about autism spectrum disorder - The Oregonian
- World Autism Day Is Baaaaack
- Are You a Savvy Auntie? Kim Stagliano Shares Autism Action for Aunts.
- Feeling Blue about Autism Speaks' Founders' Interview