Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Why People With Autism Shouldn't Be Labelled 'Different' - Huffington Post Canada
- Autism Society hosting summer camp - WKBN.com
- Can qigong massage help kids with autism? Oregon study seeks families to help ... - The Oregonian
- Clermont, Eustis programs will educate residents about autism spectrum disorder - Orlando Sentinel
- Get Marty: Family Needs Service Dog For Son With Severe Autism - CBS Local
- 'Be Safe: Teaching Community Safety Skills to Individuals with Autism Spectrum ... - Anchorage Daily News
- Why This Startup Hires Employees With Autism - Slate Magazine (blog)
- Dachel Media Update: Why No Programs for Adults With Autism? (Supply and Demand, Perhaps?)
- Mutated gene linked to both autism, intellectual disability
- #DeafInTheAir aims to improve airport accessibility
- Protein once seen as a promising anti-cancer compound helps to stabilize neural circuits
- Poker run helps raise autism awareness - The Herald Argus