Billy Joel a fan of autistic 6-year-old Ethan Walmark's 'Piano Man' viral video - New York Daily News
A 6-year-old's Billy Joel impression has garnered at least one high-profile fan: the Piano Man himself.
Autistic elementary school student Ethan Walmark gained viral fame this weekend as a series of videos featuring his renditions of famous songs rocketed around the Internet.
His precocious piano playing and adorable attitude quickly got the attention of Billy Joel, whose “Piano Man” Ethan covers in one of the clips.
"I think I like his intro to 'Piano Man' better than mine," Joel said in a statement issued through his spokesman on Sunday, according to the Washington Post. "And this kid plays with a lot more energy than me. Maybe he could teach me a few things."
Following Joel’s remarks, Walmark's parents expressed their shock and surprise at the overwhelming response their son's videos have received.
"The past 72 hours has been like living a Fellini movie!" they said in a statement issued Sunday evening, the Post reported. "We are honored and humbled that Mr. Joel watched Ethan's video, and took the time to make such gracious comments about his piano playing. If Ethan's love and joy of music can change one person's mind about autism, we are happy."
Ethan was diagnosed with autism four years ago, according to his parents’ donation page on the "Walk Now for Autism Speaks" website, where they hope to raise $100,000.
To date they have raised over $28,000.
- Pine, Ross Girl Scouts pen award-winning book about autism - Tribune-Review
- Missing Hemet Teen With Autism Has Been Found - NBC Southern California
- Discovery of 100-Plus Genes Tied to Autism May Improve Treatments - U.S. News & World Report
- Gene Trawls Haul in New Finds on Autism, MS - NBCNews.com
- Guest column by Xeno Washburne and Amber Blaylock | Autism Speaks and ... - The Daily Pennsylvanian
- Student, 21, With Autism Dies After She Chokes at Brooklyn School - New York Times
- Video sessions from National Autism Conference available for free online - Penn State News
- Major Autism Studies Identify Dozens of Contributing Genes - TIME
- Dachel Media Update: MSNBC Salking over "Anti-Vaxxers"
- As autism diagnoses increase, therapy and treatment services strive to keep up - Columbia Missourian
- Dodgeball tournament to benefit Autism Speaks - Central Florida Future
- 5 Things That Do NOT Cause Autism - Huffington Post